I like to use the approach of storing my bash based build scripts in
the scm... having the Jenkins job check them out and then use the
shell task to execute them.

generally speaking the shell task will then look something like:
pushd <directory for the scripts>
bash <script name>

I've also done some interesting stuff having shell scripts generate
xUnit compatible xml output and then loading that into the test result
reporting in Jenkins. I think you need to install the xUnit plug-in
for that to work.

Ben