The slightly longer answer is that there is code in Jenkins to migrate the
files to the new extension, but it can get confused so safest is to follow
what your Jenkins looks to be doing so that you don't keep re-invoking the
migration code (which is designed to run once, but each time you put a .hpi
file in there it runs again)

Uploading via the browser side-steps the whole shebang!