Solved in adding the ${MAVEN_HOME}/lib/ext directory to the original
maven3-agent's classworlds.conf file and in adding -Dclassworlds.conf=<path
to the specific classworlds.conf file> to the MAVEN_OPTS variable.

My classworlds.conf file looks like (note the optionally add of
${maven.home}/lib/ext/*.jar):

#
# mostly copied as-is from $MAVEN_HOME/bin/m2.conf
#
main is org.jvnet.hudson.maven3.launcher.Maven3Launcher from plexus.core

set maven.home default ${user.home}/m2

[plexus.core]
load            ${maven3.interceptor}
optionally      ${maven.home}/lib/ext/*.jar
load            ${maven.home}/lib/*.jar