Is the master running behind a proxy? It seems to me that if the proxy is running on a different host, the jnlp slave may try to connect the proxy host, instead of the jenkins host. This might also be related to the jenkins url in the configuration. We have had a similar problem, after we moved our reverse proxy to the same host as jenkins, the jnlp slave began to work.
I did really dig into this, so my guess might not be correct.

-jv