Recently the fingerprinting of our jubs is becoming very slow.Per build we have 16 artifacts to be fingerprinted, now that alone lasts ~5 minutes. Since we are using copy artifact plugin very heavily, the situation is becoming even worse - the slowness adds up.

Unfortunately I cannot tell from which Jenkins version this happens, I only noticed this slowness in several weeks ~ around version 1.51x, but the problem might well be irrelevant to the jenkins version.

Some more background information:
Jenkins 1.518 on Debian 6 64bit and built-in Winstone
we have a standard job template, each git branch has one jenkins job respectively, at the moment we have ~240 jobs (active + disabled). If one branch is done, the jenkins job is disabled but not deleted. So we have many jobs with multiple builds, and we do limit the perserved artifacts (max. 2 builds per job). Beside that, we have 2 long-live jobs, together ~ 700 builds. The number of artifacts sum up could be quite large. Although I do delete (linux shell) the artifacts periodically (every several months to ~1 year) , I didnt touch the fingerprints/ directory ever since we first adopted Hudson (5+ years). Now the fingerprints/ contains 245M data.

I suspect that the size of the fingerprint database may be the main culprit, but thats only my speculation without any hard evidence. It seems that Jenkins garbage collects them [1] if builds are deleted within/through Jenkins. But is the fingerprint database being generally maintained?

Does the size of the fingerprint database really matter? If yes, can I just delete the whole fingerprints/ without breaking the copy-artifact plugin (the ability to deploy a previous build using copy-artifact is crucial for us)? Or how can I reduce the size?

I might be looking at a complete wrong direction, so any help/idea is very much appreciated.

-jv

[1] https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-18417