I'm relatively new to the Jenkins world and I'm having issues with the use
of environment variables.

I'm currently running builds from code I check out from a git repository. I
inject an environment variable called GIT_BUILD_NUMBER that I pull from the
checkout and use it successfully in a Windows Batch Command Block:

::Build Project
python buildProj.py --branch %Branch% --bin_src %WORKSPACE% --build_number
%GIT_BUILD_NUMBER%

This executes successfully with the proper git build number. In the very
next "Execute Windows Batch command" block, I simply try to use that same
variable in a directory path and this causes the build to fail:

J:\builds\%GIT_BUILD_NUMBER%\

I've also tried this:

J:\\builds\\%GIT_BUILD_NUMBER%\\

When I echo this line, I just get: