This sounds like you have slaves as well as polling the SCM.

Which is pretty much a bit of a side effect, as the polling will kick off
potentially before the slaves are available - so the last known revision is
not available (its in the workspace) and so a new build is kicked off to
get the revision.

You should be able to confirm this in the actual SCM polling log (not sure
I remember where they are as we moved to push notification from SVN &
Gerrit) and this problem went away!
Alternativley depending on your SCM there may be some options that will
make polling happen on the master (Git certainly has an option to do this
IIRC its called - "fast repote polling")

/James