I apologize in advance, my question is half Jenkins and half CVS, so I'm not
quite sure where to post it ...

I have a parameterized job that builds my project, one of the parameters is
named CVS_TAG.  In the CVS section I specify Location="Tag" and Tag
Name=$CVS_TAG

This is the job that gets run regularly, and normally I just leave CVS_TAG
empty.   It gets run whenever there's a CVS change, and then every night at
midnight.

I then have a second job which builds release candidates for me.  This RC
build job figures out the RC#, does a "cvs rlog" to tag all the source
files, and then triggers the primary job to do the actual build, passing in
the appropriate CVS_TAG.

The reason we set it up this way, is so that when we make changes to the
build job, we don't have to make them in multiple places, there is just one
job that does the builds, and other jobs that trigger that primary job based
on varying situations.

That all works great, except I discovered an interesting twist.

When I do an RC build, the workspace has been checked out with the
appropriate tag, and it's a "sticky" tag, so when I then do a normal build
(which has the CVS "Use Update" option set), it of course updates the
workspace according to the RC tag, when what I want is to update to the
HEAD.

I think I can get around this by never having $CVS_TAG empty - either
setting it to HEAD or to the appropriate RC tag (e.g. "Project_v2_1_1_RC3")

So after that lengthy explanation of the problem, here are my questions:

1) Are there any reasons why this would be a bad idea?  In other words, is
this a valid sequence of cvs commands that will do what I want?
cvs checkout -r rel-2_1_1_rc10   (what the RC job did)
cvs update -r HEAD    (what the subsequent regular job did)

2) Is there a better way to do this in the Jenkins world?

Thanks,
Chris