If your Jenkins job is using the JGit implementation (rather than the Git
command line implementation), then you may be seeing

https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-20286 - polling reports
changes when there are none

I would expect that if a job is allowed to run multiple concurrent builds,
and polls frequently, and mistakenly detects changes (when there are none),
then the behavior you're seeing is what I would expect.

If you're using the Git command line implementation, then I would not
expect that bug to be the problem (since it is specific to the JGit
implementation).

In general, if you want to reduce disc space use and you have large git
repositories, then you can consider using the "Advanced Clone Behaviours"
setting to allow you to use a "reference" bare repository.  That causes the
workspace git repository to use pointers to most of the large files in the
".git" directory, instead of actually copying the files.  That won't solve
the root of your problem, but it may reduce your disc space used.

Mark Waite