Hi there,

we have a git meta project which consists of submodules. All code is found
in these submodules. Changes to a submodule are pushed to its master branch
manually by the developer. When the changes on one or more submodules
should be made "official" we run a release script on these submodules. This
creates a tag in the submdoule and then pushes to the meta project with a
":version:" tag in the commit message. (There will be a release script for
the meta project in the next days/weeks too, which creates a tag here.)

This changed meta project triggers jenkins via post-release hook. We would
now like to let jenkins work with this specific set of commit IDs through
the whole build chain, not any other commit that might happen on a
submodule while jenkins is wokring. (Running "git submodule" on the meta
project gives me these IDs.)

The idea behind this is: When everything finishes blue, a set of final jobs
should be run which trigger our yocto/openEmbedded build server to create a
flashable image of exactly the state of the submodules with which
everything started. (And with this image a bunch of integration/regression
tests are then run.) This means we can be 100% sure that all tests were
executed on the software versions which are now in this image.

It was no problem to set up the dependencies of the submodules and let one
trigger the next. It should also be no problem to trigger all submodule
jobs on tags only. But we cannot be sure that the latest tag is the correct
tag as another developer could run a release script while jenkins is still
working through the build chain of the previous release.

The chain is set up with jenkins up/downstream jobs and a few subjobs. At
the moment the jobs are triggered by changes on their master branch via
post-release hook. This works perfect and jenkins only builds downstream as
it should. I would like to keep this behaviour but with the enhancement
described above.

Any ideas how to achieve this?

Sebastian