SOLVED!

While browsing changelogs of various plugins, I stumbled over the
following entries in the changelog of the Maven plugin (v2.1 as of Dec
17 2013):

- - Fixed: Maven plugin sends email to 'null' adress issue #20209
- - Fixed: Hacks used by MavenMailer to load config.jelly from plain
Mailer broke in mailer 1.6 issue #21045

So, I updated the maven plugin to v2.1 and everything works again :)
Don't know if this applies to LTS 1.532.1 as well though...

Cheers
 -Fritz