I've always managed this by limiting the executors on the host where I
run the tests... but I'm suspecting you have a set up where each of
the VMs has its own computer/node entry in Jenkins so you have one
executor for each.

You might be able to work around this by setting up one of your
systems as the access point for the VMs and manage all the testing
from there. That way you can still host all the tests on your single
physical machine, but you can limit the number of concurrent jobs
using the existing executor feature.

Good luck,

Ben