We are using the git plugin and the Jenkins-Jira plugin in our job
configurations.
Our git commit messages all have a Jira ID, so in a continuous build we see
a list of git changes and the Jira IDs associated with them.
We use the Jenkins-Jira plugin to update issues for each build, which is
working fine.

I've been asked to have each build move the Jira issues from Resolved to
Needs Verification.
I've tried using the "Move issues matching JQL to the specified version"
but that doesn't seem to work...we don't use "Jira Release" fields so I'm
not really sure if this will do what I want.

Is this something the plugin can do and I'm just missing how to set it up,
or should I write a script to do this via the Jira REST api?
I'm not sure how to get the changelog info from the Git SCM plugin at build
time...I can get it from Jenkins REST api after the build has finished, so
I could make a downstream job that does all the api commands, but I'd
rather do this all in the same job.

I was initially asked to write a plugin to do this but I'm not a Java
developer so I dismissed that idea.  I have looked at the Java code for the
plugin and I've done some groovy scripts with the cli so I might be able to
figure something out...I'd rather use an existing plugin though.