It is a MavenBuilld, not a FreestyleBuild, that's why I am rather confused.

The MavenBuild correctly BUIILDSin fact, but is unable to publish to the
repository ("unauthorized"), which is a proof that the "personal"
settings.xml provided by the config plugin is NOT considered by that job
option (at least).