I tried setting the "Resolve Dependencies during Pom parsing" option on the
Maven build. The end result is still the same - without the "mvn validate"
pre-build the build fails. However, I did notice that the Parsing POMs
stage is trying to use our repository. It is not using our wagon however,
so the build fails. This is rather surprising because we installed the
Maven wagon in our Maven lib/ext directory to ensure it is available for
all builds.

[FATAL] Non-resolvable parent POM: Could not transfer artifact
com.company:root-maven-pom:pom:7.2 from/to company-maven (s3://company-maven):
Cannot access s3://company-maven with type default using the available
connector factories: WagonRepositoryConnectorFactory and 'parent.relativePath'
points at wrong local POM @ line 4, column 13