hi list,

I'm new on the list. I've been a happy Jenkins user (and Hudson before) for
a couple of years now and never had issues I couldn't fix myself. We use
Jenkins at work to build all sorts of projects: java, flash, php,
javascript. Most builds are ANT-based.

But now I have a problem: Since a recent upgrade Jenkins has been throwing
"java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" after a clean restart within
60 minutes.

Setup:

Master on Linux (Ubuntu, installed using apt
from http://pkg.jenkins-ci.org/debian)
- about 50 projects enabled
- not a lot of builds being performed (as in: idle most of the time, maybe
a couple of builds a day)
- most projects poll SVN every 5 minutes
- 900M memory allocated to the VM Heap (actually I've just changed that to
1300M)

Slave on OSX (java web start)
- does builds for most active projects

We have one screen running a 'Wall display' continuously. Shutting down
this screen does not fix the problem. (I tried since I suspected that it
might)

We're now on 1.555, but it started before this release.

I've done some analysis using VisualVM and made a couple of heap dumps. The
heap shows a repeating pattern of about 4 minutes memory increasing by
about 300MB, followed by GC sweep that removes most of the allocated
objects but adds about 40MB to the bulk that cannot be collected.

What I find is that if I take 2 memory snapshots A LOT of String and char[]
have been created inbetween (roughly 300000 over a 10 minute timespan) and
about half that amount of java.util.HashMap$Entry. This might have nothing
to do with the source of the problem, but it is

I suspect the SVN polling to have a hand in this, or some other non-build
process, as the Heap memory also increases when there are no builds running.

Does anyone have a tip on how to resolve this issue? I'm ok with making
custom java builds of jenkins myself and have full access to the build
machine.

  Simon