Somewhat related - we've been trying to harden up our Jenkins management
processes and have created a repeatable Jenkins deployment process.  We
store some configuration data in our SCM that describes the version of
Jenkins to use, the versions of the plugins and the userContent folder.  We
then have a build procedure that produces an installation of Jenkins that
we can validate in our non-prod Jenkins instance and then deploy it to
production when ready - just like our regular application software.  I
think this will help us have more manageable upgrades and rollbacks in case
of issues.