I'm setting up Jenkins to replace our homegrown build system.

I want to set it up so that we poll for svn changes and build when a change
is detected.
Problem is our current build checks a file into the project's svn
repository after a build. That means polling will *always* find a change. I
only want to build if a developer checks something in.

I discovered that the Subversion plugin allows you to configure an "Exclusion
revprop name", documented thus:

"If set, and Jenkins is set to poll for changes, Jenkins will ignore any
revisions that are marked with the given revision property (revprop) when
determining if a build needs to be triggered. This can be used to exclude
commits done by the build itself from triggering another build, assuming
the build server commits the change with the correct revprop.
This type of exclusion only works with Subversion 1.5 servers and newer."

My svn server is running 1.7.7, and I'm running Version 2.2 of the
Subversion Plugin on Jenkins 1.557.

I tried setting the "Exclusion revprop name" to "jenkins", and then I
tested with this checkin:
> svn commit -m "test" --with-revprop "jenkins=jenkins" Foo.java

But jenkins sees this change and triggers a build. I tried leaving out the
=jenkins part, to no avail.

Am I misunderstanding the documentation? Shouldn't jenkins ignore this
change?
Or am I doing something obviously wrong?

Is there another way to do this?

Thanks in advance