We are distributing Windows software via a web site that includes an
automatic updates feature. Both the Windows software and the web site are
built using Maven and Jenkins.

At present the web site (a WAR) uses Maven to depend-on a Maven version of
the Windows software (an exe). Each "customer" receives this WAR so
versions are per-customer.

Currently, a developer will give the Maven windows project a build number
in a file and share that within a file of the WAR archive. I want Jenkins
to be put in charge of this. Clearly the artefact of the Windows file can
be made aware of the Jenkins build number via an environment variable
during the build process but as the WAR archive is constructed the build
number of the dependent Windows project needs to be identified and included
in the WAR itself. While we could feed this in, I'd prefer Jenkins to
remain autonomous.

At this point I'm a little lost but I suspect this sort of thing has been
done before so suggestions from experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James