Thanks Steve;

Although I'm running Jenkins on Windows and I'm not using LDAP for
authentication, I think your observation was in fact *correct!*

After adding the user name in *all lower case in the security matrix and
asking the user to re-register with an lower case username* the 'Red Stop
Sign' disappeared and the user is now able to build Jenkins jobs
Originally, the user had used a mixed case user name which was probably not
preserved in a similar way across the entire Jenkins system and the Windows
file system

Thanks for the helpful points!

Best regards
Ioannis