Those of you who came to the last San Francisco JUC knows that the bobble head of Mr.Jenkins has been very popular. We've been asked in various places such as FOSDEM and SCALE, but getting those to the hands of people is logistically tricky.

I was talking about that with somebody and he suggested that maybe we can get the 3D model of Mr.Jenkins built.

Not only can people print them out on their own, but it being a data file allows people to create derivative works. As a data point, people have already created derivative works from our 2D logo.

I'm talking to a Japanese designer who can do this, and it costs about $300 to get this done. The deliverables are OBJ/STL files (shape data) and texture data for color 3D printing. As per the original license of the logo, the data will be made available liberally under the CC-BY-SA license.

$300 is something I can pay out of my pocket in the worst case, but it'd be nice to get some help too, given that the data will be available freely.

We talked a bit about this in the project meeting today, but a few people were understandably bit unsure if this is something the project could justify paying for. It's partly because we are unclear about the level of interest, and admittedly this isn't central to the necessity of the project operation.

So my questions here are:

 - If we have a CC-BY-SA licensed 3D model of Mr.Jenkins, is that
   something you find useful?

 - If I set up a fund-raising for this, is there anyone willing
   to pitch in a little?

Any thoughts?

[1] http://jenkins-ci.org/content/behind-scenes-jenkins-user-conference-palo-alto
--