We don't require authentication, and I can successfully send test emails
using the "Test configuration by sending test e-mail" setting under the
global setting for E-mail Notification.

We're running the .war directly using "java -jar jenkins.war
--logfile=/var/log/jenkins/jenkins.log". The jenkins.log file does not
contain *any* information about this error.