It turns out it was the Job DSL plugin causing the issue, although
indirectly. The xml for the parameterized triggers was not valid, it was
using UNSTABLE_OR_BETTER, which doesn't seem to be supported. I was also
adding them as build actions instead of post build actions (steps instead
of publishers).

This put me on to the solution:

https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-23079