I've had a Jenkins server running for about 6 months.  I have updated
plugins on many occasions, even updating Jenkins itself to the latest a few
times.  It has been a couple of months since I updated and I needed to
update a plugin.

Now when I try to update plugins, I get to the Installing Plugins/Upgrades
page, but it gets stuck on Preparation - "Checking internet connectivity"

This used to work.  I tried:
backreving to an older version of Jenkins.
Using the latest version
Running Jenkins on a different unix machine.  A ping to www.google.com
shows the machines I'm using have internet connectivity.

I run Jenkins like this:
nohup java -jar jenkins.war --httpPort=8080 >& jenkins_out.log &

I do not have any proxy server setup.  This was not needed in the past.

Any clue on where I can start debugging this further?

Thanks.