I have searched the archives and don't see a direct answer to this
question.  I apologize if  this has already been asked and answered.

My team currently runs a few Jenkins stand-alone build servers, lots of
jobs each, some CI jobs, not a lot of concurrency in builds, but some.

I have been asked to migrate our environment to a master/slave setup so the
job management can be run from one server.  My questions is this: what kind
of hardware would a master-only machine need to be successful?  The current
stand-alone servers will become the slaves.

So here are the questions I am starting with:

   - It seems from what I have read in this and other forums that it is a
   good idea to have one CPU core per executor.  Is this true for the master
   as well as the server doing the builds?  Or can we scale back?
   - I have also read that the master can become I/O bound while moving the
   logs and build results around.  (I think I have that right but some threads
   suggest that Jenkins can become CPU bound as a result of being I/O bound,
   an interaction that I don't fully understand.)  The network backbone isn't
   an issue but I can spec out a variety of different storage solutions.  I
   would obviously like to avoid spending money on storage we don't need but I
   need to build something that will function.
   - How much RAM should this master-only machine have?
   - All of our servers are virtual.  That helps in that they can be
   rescaled if needed, but are there any special considerations that a virtual
   master introduces that I should know about?
   - Is there anything that I should be thinking about when converting the
   stand-alone servers to slaves?  I have already modeled the process of
   getting a Jenkins server to be both a stand-alone server and a slave so
   that I can do the migration without bringing the servers down.  That works
   fine.  But is there anything about being a slave server that would change
   the system requirements?

I know I haven't provided enough details to come up with a spec, and that
is sort of intentional.  I hope to learn instead how to do the analysis,
what the tradeoffs are, what the design considerations are, etc. so I can
build the spec.  This won't be the last time I have to visit this
environment and I would like to build the knowledge and skills necessary to
be able to manage it.

Thanks for any suggestions!

~ Dave