Scripts are great for writing process specific glue-programs and point
tools.

I learned Bash from the internet, but after a while I bought the O'Reilly
book "Learning the bash shell", it was worth very penny and this
accelerated my learning: don't waste time, buy a book. I also often find
answers I need in the Bash Guide on Greg's Wiki bit:
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide

I have found Groovy quite fun to learn, esp since it can access the java
libraries (argparse4j being one of my favourites). The biggest advantage of
Groovy over Python is that it runs on the JVM, so it was just two downloads
to get everything. Groovy automatically downloads the additional libraries
it needs via imports and Grape, not need to get IT involved, no root access
required.

I still use Python 3 quite a bit, but only with the built-in libraries,
since getting external libraries installed was hard for me on some legacy
OSes. I still know enough Perl to fix old scripts, but I don't bother
writing new scripts in it. Nowadays, for any problem that requires data
structure manipulations (trees, lists), I start with Groovy (I have read
part of the book "Programming Groovy 2" Venkat Subramaniam) . Last time I
checked, Groovy performed really poorly with regular expressions, so when I
have lots of them, I use Python instead (I have read O'Reilly Learning
Python by Mark Lutz).