On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 1:32 PM, jieryn <jie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Plugin+Installation+Statistics
>
> Installations roughly correlates to votes, start there.

The plugin installation counts are a very useful data point.  They may need
some additional thought for those plugins which are bundled with Jenkins,
and thus may be counted as "installed" when the user may not be actively
using them.

For example, the "Subversion" plugin is "installed" on all of my Jenkins
servers, but is only actually used on a few of them.  I believe it is
reported as installed on all of them, because it is a bundled plugin.  I
don't bother to disable the bundled plugins, so even if the counts only
included enabled plugins, it would not help.

Most plugins are not bundled, so their installation counts are a more
likely indicator of usage than the counts for bundled plugins.

My "must have" plugins include:

   - git and git client - source control
   - credentials - authentication to source control
   - elastic axis - combinations and permutations of slaves
   - junit - java test result summary
   - xshell - platform independent build task
   - maven build task

My "very useful" plugins include:

   - jacoco - java code coverage reporting
   - findbugs - java bug detector
   - cloudbees folder
   - Xvnc - X server for desktop program tests
   - javadoc - display Java API documentation

Mark Waite

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 2:44 PM, Chris Kelley <mr.chriskel...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I do user research for IBM's Bluemix DevOps Services, and I'm currently
> > researching Jenkins plugin usage to help prioritize future
> > releases/features. Any responses to the questions below would be much
> > appreciated -
> >
> > What Jenkins plugins are a requirement for use? In other words, you
> couldn't
> > use Jenkins if they didn't exist.
> > What Jenkins plugins are do you find useful, but aren't necessarily a
> > requirement for use?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your response!
> >
> > - Chris Kelley
> > User Experience Research & Design