We decided to move onto LTS after some of the recent instability.
We were on 1.599 and moved to 1.596.1

We stopped Jenkins, deleted the files in JENKINS_HOME/updates and replaced
the war.

When Jenkins came up again all the build history was missing. The build
directories are all empty.

None of the documentation I read about moving to LTS indicated that this
may happen.

I would expect that system to preserve build history and report the fact
that it has problems reading the files rather than just deleting it.

Is this expected behaviour?

Regards
Corneil