clicking on 'Check Now' didn't help and we are located in Germany.

As Jenkins is started with '--logfile=/home/jenkins/logs/jenkins.log' you
mean this logfile? Nothing relevant in there.

I downloaded jenkins-1.594.war and started it locally. The drop-down was
populated with all JDKs.

I found this issue: https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-10176

So I checked
that
http://jenkins.mirror.isppower.de/updates/updates/hudson.tools.JDKInstaller.json?version=1.594

works.

Then I looked at the file 'hudson.tools.JDKInstaller' that was mentioned in
the issue. The contents was exactly the same as the file
'hudson.tasks.Maven.MavenInstaller' which is very strange but could be the
reason for the error.
I deleted 'hudson.tools.JDKInstaller' hoping that it would be downloaded
again. But nothing happend.

Clifford