I've just updated email-ext to 2.40 with the hope it fixes issues with
sending text with " replaced with &quot etc.  This seems fixed but now has
problem with ampersands.

&#x2714 (which should and used to display a tick in email) is replaced by
&#x2714

Does anyone know of work around or is this a case of living with it until
the next update? (I'll file a bug report in the mean time)