Some things you could try to see if they help:

- Confirm that you have the correct URL for the repository and that you can
clone from a command line
- Confirm that you can clone from inside a jenkins job using that command
line
- Confirm that you've entered the credential correctly
- Confirm that you're using that credential

You might also consider separately installing a newer Jenkins version with
git client plugin 1.17.1 and git plugin 2.3.5, in case those help.

Mark Waite