The old jobs take up disk space. The job configuration itself does not take
much, but if there are any build artifacts, there might be a lot of disk
space consumed by these jobs. Remember, Jenkins only deletes old build
artifacts when a new build has been run. If there are no new builds =>
nothing gets deleted.

The more jobs Jenkins has, the slower it is. Usually this is not a big
problem but if there are a lot of unnecessary jobs, your Jenkins will be
slower (and takes more RAM) than it needs.

The most important argument for deleting unnecessary jobs to me, however,
is clarity: If there are lots of jobs, it is more difficult to navigate and
find the job you are looking for. Good naming conventions and using Jenkins
views can help here but I have never had success getting people to follow
naming conventions...

Also, there might be maintenance overhead involved: For example, couple of
years ago my employer switched from Github Enterprise to Stash and I had to
go through a lot of jobs to reconfigure them. If you had old, obsolete
jobs, why would you reconfigure them? And if you didn't, they would not
work if anyone tried to run them. And what is the point of keeping jobs in
Jenkins that cannot be run? Jenkins is a job runner. Nothing else.

-- Sami