The last chapter of the book Jenkins: The Definitive Guide
<http://www.amazon.com/Jenkins-Definitive-John-Ferguson-Smart/dp/1449305350>
describes a few practices that, if used together, would give you something
like a "cold" or "warm" Jenkins master mirror.

Failover however would not be automatic or instant. But it would be "free"
in the sense of no software license.