notice how the directory separator characters are being switched from
/ to \. My guess is that if you used
C:\\cygwin\\home\\efetzer\\.ssh\\id_rsa it might work the way you
expect. The java binary you're using isn't aware of what cygwin is
doing with paths and such so my guess is that it's behaving like any
other windows executable in this context.

Cheers,
Ben