I think I am using the Workflow manual input step incorrectly. I must
misunderstand the problem it solves.

My pipeline has several steps:
1) compiler phase 1 and test (1 hour)
3) manually decide whether to stop or continue to step 4
4) compiler phase 2 and more tests (2 to 4 hours)
5) manually decide whether to stop or continue to step 6
6) deploy to dev
7) manually decide whether to stop or continue to step 8
8) deploy to production

Only a few, out of thousands, make it to production. When I use the
Workflow plugin with the manual input step, it leaves builds with balls
blinking waiting for user input. Also, pausing eventually blocks all
execution slots. With thousands of builds, this can't be right.

This cannot be how the manual input is intended to work. How do people do
manual build steps that depend on upstream jobs?

Thanks,
Martin