> There is no way to force the plugin to use clone instead of fetch.  Even
> if there were, it would likely have the same problem, since clone is often
> described as "init + fetch".

That was meant as a way to try to overcome what seems to be a bug in the
plugin, not sure it would have changed anything but at least would have
been a try.

> You could reduce the amount of data transferred by using a shallow clone.
> That's one of the checkboxes in the "Additional Behaviours" section.

I know about the shallow clone and we use extensively but unluckily here
it's useless. The problem is that the offending, big files are on a
different branch from the one I need. With that fetch unluckily Jenkins
downloads all of the branches, that's why it gets so slow. In this case for
me the shallow clone would have no effect unluckily.

> You could reduce the amount of data transferred by retaining a reference
> copy of the repository on each slave agent.  That's one of the checkboxes
> in the "Additional Behaviours" section.

Yes I know that as well, but we have hundreds of projects and that might
become not so easy to manage - besides risking to become a big toll on disk
space availability, which is often the reason for us wiping oout
workspaces.

> I'm not sure why it is running the fetch with the full ref spec
> initially.  That seems like a bug.  However, it would need more
> investigation, and you probably want to reduce the amount of data
> transferred now.  To reduce the amount of data transferred immediately, use
> a shallow clone.

I'll just wait to see if anybody else comes out with more ideas, if not I
guess I'll file a bug on the plugin.
Thanks for your time!