(replies inline)

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015, Mark Bidewell wrote:

> In my current position, I inherited a Jenkins server that makes heavy use
> of the Maven Project Type and M2 Release Plugin.  As Jenkins is moving
> forward, I am now understanding why many people do not like that project
> type due to the shims needed to support Java 6 builds.
>
> What is the future of the Maven project type? should I be making plans to
> migrate from it?  If so what is the best alternative (right now I am
> thinking workflows)?

NOTE: This doesn't represent any sort of official view or whatever.

Migrating off of the Maven project type is, in my opinion, always a good
decision. I've found that it is in some ways too tightly integrated, like with
the JDK version you mentioned, and in other ways not well integrated into the
plugin ecosystem.

The downside, in my personal opinion, to switching over to Workflow right now
is that there might be plugins which aren't fully compatible with the workflow
job type, see here:
    <https://github.com/jenkinsci/workflow-plugin/blob/master/COMPATIBILITY.md>

I think Workflow is the right choice long-term, and in 2.0 will be fairly
front-and-center in the experience, but there are some hiccups such as those
with compatibility right now.

Hope that helps raise new questions :P

Cheers
- R. Tyler Croy