If you've been on a Jenkins version since 1.555 (a year or more), you
should probably upgrade to the long term support version instead of 1.638.
Your upgrade pace suggests "stable", so why not choose a version that is
intentionally stable, while still using a more modern version?

Refer to https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/LTS+Release+Line for
more information about LTS versions.

Mark Waite