On Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 10:51:11 AM UTC+1, Stephen Connolly wrote:

> On 12 January 2016 at 06:14, Thomas Goeppel <thomas....@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> Stephen,
>>
>> thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure that with the two methods you
>> described it's possible to divide roles into those who can control a docker
>> host, and those who can't, and the second method is even safe against
>> privilege escalation. The organization I work for is a Cloudbees customer,
>> but unfortunately both methods you suggested don't support use cases where
>> both groups in your "lock down" scenario must be allowed to configure
>> Workflow scripts with `docker.image().inside{}` (and that's what I have in
>> mind).
>>

> If you are using the Script Security plugin that should help vet what
> scripts can be executed... and by having the two teams in different Jenkins
> masters you can have different profiles of what they can run... but yeah I
> agree it would be better to be able to provide a "permission restricted"
> docker proxy to the build (not just workflow by the way) so that you can
> restrict what the build can do as this is a problem for any build (just
> think that somebody can add a unit test that uses System.exec to run docker

Exactly that's my concern - I don't want to rely on Jenkins security for
this kind of system level stuff. On the OS level, Jenkins operates under a
single user account for all jobs. It would be easier if Jenkins could run
jobs with setuid(), e.g. depending on the user roles that 'own' a job.
Currently that only possible on the build slave level.