If you're polling, you need to define a schedule -- Jenkins needs to know how
often to poll, after all. This can be as simple as '* * * * *', which means
"every minute".

Consider looking into (SCM specific) post-commit hooks, those notify Jenkins of
changes immediately, and don't require Jenkins to poll all the time (which as
you can imagine, doesn't scale well).