I figured out what was wrong. During the release process, GPG signing
happened before jarsigner happened.

jarsigner inserts the signature into the war file, which changes the war.
So the signature became invalid.

In 2.0 release, jarsigner somehow run before gpg, so it produced the
correct signature.

I don't know how to force this ordering to Maven. I'll ask around.