How do I get the git information right which were - in the past - provided
by Jenkins Git plugin?

I have found one information
here:
https://github.com/jenkinsci/pipeline-examples/blob/master/pipeline-examples/gitcommit/gitcommit.groovy
You see that in the code below (extract).

I have the treeish (job parameter which refers to a git tag name or git
branch name).

What I'm still missing ... let's say since last build there might have been
(n=5) commits.
So I would like to have the "n" commit messages. I know how to get the last
"n" log messages in Git ...
...but how do I know how many commits have been since last build?

*I see from the stage view (left side, row labels) that the pipeline
definitely knows aboutthe number of commits and even it knows the git
details showing them in a tooltip whenI move with the mouse cursor above
the label.*
*How can I get this information after the checkout?*

Kind Regards,
Thomas

APPENDIX:

    // ...

    // Retrieving first 6 characters of the SHA Git commit id.
    def getCommit() {
        def command="git rev-parse HEAD > " + this.workspace + "/GIT_COMMIT"
        script.sh(command)
        script.readFile(this.workspace + "/GIT_COMMIT").take(6)
    }

    // ...

    stage 'Get Code'
    checkout([$class: 'GitSCM', branches: [[name: treeish]],
    doGenerateSubmoduleConfigurations: false,
            submoduleCfg: [],
            userRemoteConfigs: [[credentialsId: 'XXXXXXXXXXX_CREDENTIALS',
             url:
'ssh://git@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxt']]])