Hi,

After some testing we upgraded Jenkins in production, from 1.617-1.1
to 1.656-1.1 on April 20. However, since the upgrade we're running into
problems that we never saw before and it's now kind of out of control:

   - We had to raise the nofile parameter in limits.conf for the jenkins
   user because we were getting "Too many open files" errors. We raised it to
   8192 soft, 10240 hard on April 28th. By looking into /proc/pid/ld/ I found
   out that most of these files where inet sockets. Got these errors again on
   May 8th and 9th. I didn't change anything yet for that issue
   - We had to raise the java heap memory. It was at -Xmx4096m, we raised
   it to -Xmx7168m, then to -Xmx10752m and adjusted the vRAM allocation for
   this VM accordingly, but it doesn't solve the problem, we're still getting
   "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" errors.  When that starts
   happening, we have to restart jenkins because the web interface is not
   responding anymore (which makes it difficult to troubleshoot because we
   can't really tell what is running at this moment.

Note that we do run Selenium testing through IC, but nothing has changed
drastically after the upgrade. RHEL updates were applied a few days before
(Apr 6th) and that include a minor update to Firefox (38.0 => 38.7). We're
using openjdk java JRE. Was updated to 1.7.0.99 (from 1.7.0.79) on April
6th, 1.7.0.101 on May 2nd.

Has anyone experienced something similar?  What are my best options? Our
workaround now is to restart jenkins manually when needed.

   - Would it be possible to rollback to 1.617 without breaking anything?
   - Try the LTS version (that would mean a downgrade - would it break
   stuff?)
   - Jump to version 2 (2.2-1.1 available)
   - Inspect the JVM's memory
   - Any other idea is welcome