By not running anything on master we don't have to worry about any sort of
failure related to misconfiguration of jobs, or job related failures. For
example, OOM, out of disk space, pausing when 'input' is run, etc.

If a slave goes down you have 1 machine down. If master goes down, all CI
for our company goes down. The need for us to protect and make behavior
guarantees of the master node, we want it to do only what is absolutely
necessary and keep user code from running on it.