Problem solved more-or-less.

The Git plugin was configured with
<refspec>+refs/pull-requests/*/from:refs/remotes/origin/pull-requests/*/from</refspec>.

I removed this configuration and no longer have the extra branches.

I'm unable to find any documentation that describes this refspec.  It
appears to be something specific to Stash, but I'm not able to find any
documentation.  Would appreciate any links.

Michael