When I do this ... currentBuild.result = "FAILURE" for a small test
pipeline job then the build fails also the stages are green.
Exactly the problem I explained. When setting to "SUCCESS" all is fine. So
obvious there is anything adjusting the state wrongly.

Is there a way where I can check the success state after each operation?
(as mentioned ... echo currentBuild.result prints null)