James,

Interesting statement "successful tests is an edge case" - I've never
thought about it this way, but if all tests pass I dont need to know
anything else, so true I guess :-)

Our use case is (with daily releases):
* unit tests
* itests that set up their own data (most of our itests)
* itests relying on specific test data (i.e. they have to be run against a
specific test database)
* itests that test typical API consumption (to ensure we haven't broken
existing API)

So when:
(A) a test fails I'd like to know into which category it falls to better
assess any consequences and being able to make a first guess about what the
root cause could be
(B) many tests fail it's useful to know whether all of them fall into same
test category.

Putting tests into a specific java package (*.itest.api.* etc.) would
probably help to solve (A) but not (B).

Best regards,
 stefan.