For what its worth, I believe this is an issue with LDAP Plugin as I was
able to recreate it without Role Based auth using Matrix based auth as well

>From a little digging I did, it appears it is some odd permissions issue,
as if you grand the user explicit admin rights ahead of time, it can read
the groups - but any other kind of user fails. This of course makes LDAP
Groups completely useless as only admins can see them.  I filed a ticket
with LDAP Plugin team: https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-37858

-M