Trying to get my head around what is the best way to implement some custom
pipeline DLS commands using global functions
<https://github.com/jenkinsci/workflow-cps-global-lib-plugin#defining-global-functions>.

I am looking at the examples given under Defining a more structured DSL
<https://github.com/jenkinsci/workflow-cps-global-lib-plugin#define-more-structured-dsl>,

which shows an example of accepting arguments via variable assignments
inside of a closure.  Is this the preferred method?  It seems most build in
commands (git, sh, etc) accept a Map of arguments.  I am not a groovy
expert but am trying to understand why/when one approach is better than the
other?  Any thoughts or illumination on this would be appreciated.