You got it backwards, master connects to Slave using standard SSH
Pub/Private key auth. So, since the master is connecting to slave, you are
not putting Slave's private keys on Master, you are putting Master's public
key on Slave. While this looks like same thing physically, logically it
explains why private key belongs to Master. Of course for extra
convenience, you can use different keypairs for different slaves - but that
is optional.

-M